Avoiding Violent Crimes
1. Use initials instead of first names on mailboxes and phone listings.
2. Avoid remaining alone in an apartment laundry room or parking garage.
3. Never admit on the telephone or at the door that you are alone.
4. It is risky to accept a ride home from someone you have just met.
5. If you decide to physically resist assault, remember that your goal is to incapacitate the attacker long enough to run to safety and get help.
6. If you have been a victim of sexual assault, call police immediately. Do not bathe or change clothes or you may destroy evidence.
1. Avoid carrying valuable items or large amounts of money.
2. Always think ahead. For example, when traveling at night, have your keys ready to enter the house or to start the car.
3. If you are confronted by a robber, the best advice is to cooperate.
4. If you resist, there is a greater chance that you may be hurt.
1. When using an automatic bank teller (ATM), always be watchful of any suspicious people around you.
2. The chances of being robbed at night are much greater, especially if you are alone.
3. If you find someone waiting and watching outside in the area of an ATM machine, do not use it. Leave the area and report the incident to the police immediately. You could save someone else from being a victim of crime.
Street Safety – Use Common Sense
1. Stay in well-lighted, busy areas. Avoid walking alone and avoid known trouble spots.
2. When you carry a purse, hold it close to your body rather than by the handles. Do not wrap purse straps around your wrist, because you can get hurt in a struggle.
3. Carry only what you need in a purse or wallet, not everything you have.
4. Avoid using shortcuts through dark alleys, fields, or vacant lots.
5. If you think you’re being followed, cross the street and change directions a few times. Go quickly to a well-lighted place with lots of people. Do no go home. You don’t want an attacker to know where you live.
Stay safe! Visit www.UrbanSafetySupplies.com and www.HiTechHiddenCameras.com for all of your self defense and security item needs.